He

Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Fastest Way to Write Your Book by Dave Haslett - Review

I must admit to coming across this book several times before taking the plunge and deciding to finally buy it, and I very nearly didn't buy it at all. I'd already been stung for $97 by another course that promised I A Christmas Story write a book in 28 days, and that turned out to be a complete waste of money. I assumed this was more of the same. Fortunately I was wrong, and I'm very happy to give The mortgaging refinancing companies Way to Write Your Book my absolute highest recommendation.

In the four months since I bought this book I dwi auto insurance already had quite startling results, completing a novel that I'd been struggling with for more than six years, and writing two quite sizeable guidebooks on eco solutions from scratch. I call that amazing! I'm also in the process of setting up a website and am using the methods in The Fastest Way to Write Your Book to plan and write articles for it - and they are simply flying out of my computer.

The Fastest Way to Write Your Book begins with the assumption that you don't even have an idea for your book, and shows you how to come up with hundreds of them. If you already have an idea for your book, the methods in this section will allow you to expand on it, perhaps into topics you hadn't even thought of, and ensure that nothing gets missed. You are then shown how to eliminate the weaker ideas and combine the best ones to form the core of your book. All of this can be easily achieved within the first day or two.

The book then guides you through the process of organizing the core of your book into topics or chapters, then subdividing it into headings and sub-headings to form a solid outline. Haslett insists that in order to complete the book within a limited timeframe it is vital to get the outline absolutely perfect at this stage before beginning to tackle the writing. He then insists that you stick to the outline rigidly. This is superb advice, and is undoubtedly where I went wrong during the years I spent agonizing over my novel.

Haslett then describes a variety of simple methods for turning your outline into finished text that needs only light editing. You can choose as many or as few of these methods as you wish, or combine them as you see fit, doing whatever you find quickest and easiest. There are also valuable ideas on how to find more time to write, and how to write without impinging on your lifestyle. For example, one of his ideas shows how you could easily write one, or possibly two, entire Toiwrbaonf each year, writing only in your lunch break. His methods really work! So much of what I used to call downtime has now become writing time. When I think about the amount of time I spent shut away in my office writing my novel while the rest of the family was out enjoying themselves, well, I could cry. I even stayed at home once while they all went on vacation. One thing is certain, that won't happen again - not now I have this wonderful book as my guide!

Writing is only part of the process of course, and there are other sections covering editing, collaborating with other people, avoiding interruptions, beating writer's block (though you're unlikely to need any help with that if you use the methods in this book), and using technology to write even faster.

Haslett is at pains to point out that many people are frightened of technology, so this chapter of his book is entirely optional. After all, writers of the past managed to write their books in just days with nothing but an ink pen or a manual typewriter. However, those brave enough to read this section will find useful advice on selecting and using software, portable computers and dictation equipment that will undoubtedly lead to better and faster results.

The book ends with a chapter on selling your book, which describes how to get an agent or publisher, advice on self-publishing, and some useful marketing tips. Once again, I have had amazing - and fast - results by following the methods described here. Both my eco guidebooks have already found publishers, and two New York agents have asked to see my novel. One of the agents has suggested I start a second novel as soon as possible as she will find it much easier to place my work with a publisher if I can demonstrate I am not a 'one novel wonder' but a career writer. I read the relevant chapters of The Fastest Way to Write Your Book again last weekend and I now have a simply delicious idea for my next story!

Haslett writes with infectious enthusiasm and a down-to-earth style that makes you feel as if he is sitting right next to you handing out advice and urging you onwards to success. He really does want you to succeed. And with this book there's no question that you will. I'll end this review with a word I've used twice already: Amazing!

For full details about The Fastest Way to Write Your Book and to order your copy please visit www.ideas4writers.co.uk/books/fwwb.php?ascid=es001">www.ideas4writers.co.uk/books/fwwb.php?ascid=es001

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home